Thursday 8 June 2017

8/6/17 - Princess Marina

After some more time on the layout designs of Princess Marina, I'm almost ready to send off the file for laser cutting.  Every hour on CAD is worth several hours in the workshop.  I thought the smokebox door parts I had been given were OK, but a little big on the diameter.  After silver solding a boss on the smokebox door and putting it in the lathe, the casting had buckled and was too warped to clean up fully at the new diameter.  I will have to machine a new one out of steel, which will have water cut door straps and a laser cut drilling template for all the holes.  Time saved right there.  I have a set of laser cut frames here which I won't be using as the horn blocks I was given are too big and will waste too much time milling out the frames rather than getting new ones with all the holes in.  More time saved.  The running boards and cab parts will also be laser cut with all holes in.  Brake hangers, brake shoe ring, etc.


Happy steaming!

Nigel


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment!