Thursday 1 December 2016

Basic 3D with Draftsight

For the last few years I have been using Draftsight for 2D drawings, an excellent free program that functions just like AutoCAD LT.

Discovered somewhat by accident last night, I was surprised to see how the 3D side of Draftsight works.  It is very limited, no Boolean operations can be performed, no joining of parts, or drilling holes.  But it's there.

It will also do a functional rendering job, I didn't spend too much time playing with the lights but I'm sure a better render can be done when set up.

I had a quick go at a smokebox, it's not too bad!  Also I was able to import a 3D model which was done on AutoCAD.

Check out Draftsight, it's a professional level 2D program, an easy free tool to use for getting started on CAD.

www.npwoolley.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment!